Having been recently diagnosed as having Polymyalgia, this I think explains why my hands are not as dexterous as they once were.
While I am still able I thought I would catch up on a few jobs I have been meaning to do but haven’t got round to. It is a couple of months before my next exhibition which is at Milton Keynes on Saturday 16th February so there was no rush.
The first of these jobs being to make some slight additions to the very first rail truck I made, the Opel Blitz.
The original false chassis I have strengthened as I always felt this to be a weak spot.
The fuel tank on the actual vehicle was mounted sideways across the chassis just behind the cab. Due to the Athearn chassis arrangement I had to relocate it and mounted it to the nearside chassis rail. I then hid it behind a coil of rope as I never felt it looked right due to its shape as much as anything. I have now made two new fuel tanks one either side and I think these look much better. I’ve also made a small shelf at the rear on the near side to store odds and ends.
I have fitted a KD coupler to the rear to make the vehicle a bit more versatile and also two sand boxes at the front.
A white meaning less number has been applied to the drop side body at the rear, it serves to add a bit of colour.
I cleaned the motor commutator with a cotton wool bud and gave all the bearings a touch of La belle oil. Although well over twenty years old the motor seems to run better than ever.
I have done a bit more work on a couple more members of my locomotive fleet.
Firstly I added a KD coupler to the front of the quad gun tractor, making it a bit more useful around the farm.
The model is powered by an early 3 pole Ringfield pancake type motor, which runs every bit as well as the later enclosed can and fly wheel motor now fitted. A bit of added weight in the body helps I think.
The model is seen posing in the fiddle yard of my HO switching layout.
The other little modification was a sort of “shall I, shan’t I “ decision I couldn’t make up my mind.
In the end decided to remove the rather large headlight mounted on the front of the smoke box. Having done it I’m glad did, not only does it make the little locomotive look more British but I think it improves the general look of it as well.
It now reminds me of the 0-4-ST locomotive built by Steven Lewin, Dorset Foundry, Poole, Dorset in 1863 to work at Seaham Harbour Durham.
Broadoak wrote: In the end decided to remove the rather large headlight mounted on the front of the smoke box. Having done it I’m glad did, not only does it make the little locomotive look more British but I think it improves the general look of it as well. It does much increases the "British-ness" of loco, at least from this Missouri Yank's perspective.
Also expect that a loco in kind of service that one is wouldn't carry a headlight unless specifically needed for a task - what's not there doesn't break and hence won't cost money.
The old red bodied Simplex with the man riding on the bonnet never looked quite right to me. So I have made a new body out of plasticard which is supposed to represent wooden panelling. It is very loosely based on a device which is pictured in Stewart Squires excellent Lincolnshire Potato Railways book. The body on mine is lower to clear the bridge into the fiddle yard. The one in the book looks as if you could stand up on the footplate, mine caters for a seated driver only. I have also fitted KD’s to make operating it a little easier.
The load on the home made pallet is made of odds and ends from my scrap box and makes a change from sacks of potatoes or wheat.