Red 70 Foot McKeen Motor Car - Radio Control with Batteries
The original motor on the Red McKeen did not run very well. I had just replaced the chassis and motor on my Brass 70 foot McKeen and decided to do the same for this one. The chassis is made from a piece of 1/16" x 1.25" aluminum that I bought at my local Lowes store. I made a paper patter from the stock frame and transferred the patter to the aluminum. I cut the hole for the NWSL - PDT (I have 3 of the new NWSL Stanton Drives on order and will swap the older motors for the new ones when I get then) and used a couple pieces of frame material that I had gotten from Neil Stanton. I mounted the front truck and the chassis was ready for a road test. It could have be a real road test as I had installed one of my All-Trol Radio Control with Batteries System on the McKeen.
A test run at my local HO Club train club layout. A few club members were replacing a some turnouts and the track power was turned off. Running on battery power got a bit of attention.
You can see the blue from the Eflight Battery and some of the wires for the RC if you look in the Porthole Windows. All of that will be hidden when I am finished. The rear side frames will be installed when I get the new motor along with the bottom details.
I decided to just install it in my Red McKeen Motor Car with Radio Control. I did a quick motor swap. All that was necessary was for me to solder a connector to the orange and gray wire on the motor and mount the new motor in place of the older one. That was quick and I had the Red McKeen running and breaking in the new Stanton Drive. The more it ran the better it ran.
The All-Trol RC System makes RC so easy. Radio Control with Batteries makes life so easy.
madmike3434 wrote: surprisingly not a lot of member chatter on the RC yahoo group for 116 members.
I hate to even think this and I hate even more to say it but maybe they are all out shopping for their Easter Parade Thongs.
Now back to RC:
I don't think you can tell from the picture but the bottom cover on the new Stanton Drive is also a small circuit board. This is very clever. Neil Stanton designed this motor and after reading the first two parts of his Radio Control magazine article I am not surprised. His skill level is "rocket to the moon" type attention to detail.
The drive unit is DCC ready and has solder contact points on the small board. My motor came with a 4 page set of instructions explaining all the different ways to set this up. Being DCC ready also means Radio Control ready although I seemed to have missed that part of the instructions.
The wipers are soldered to the board and press against the inside of the wheels. For Radio Control models I would remove the wipers, bend them back or cut off the ends that touch the back of the wheels.
The drive has a small motor that sets between the axles. The axles have a small gear that mesh with a small gear on each end of the motor shaft. This is covered by the bottom cover so I can't see what type of gear is used. You can see the gears on the axles in the picture. I really want to take one of these apart.
The new motor continues run really nice and I have removed both stock motors from my PSC 70 Foot McKeens. They had started sending an "overload" message. Since I have two more of the Stanton Drives on order I will replace both PSC stock motors with the new NWSL Stanton Drives.