When I first saw the Lombard Tractor I knew I wanted one for my N-Trak logging module. Model Tec Studios has kits in HO and O but not in N scale, so I decided to build one. The Lombard Tractor started in Maine around 1900 when a millwright was asked to build an engine to haul logs in the bush. His name was Alvin Lombard. In 1902 the Lombard Engine Company was born. The first models were steam, but in 1917 they became gasoline-powered tractors. The gas tractors steered from inside the cab, but on the steam tractor, a man sat up front and steered the runners. Often a small shelter was built around the steering for protection from the elements. For more info; check the internet When I started I had no plans to follow except pictures from the internet. I had an N scale saddle-tank engine, so I used it as my scale to built the tractor. I took the length of the tank and the cab, added a few feet and came up with about 30ft. The next day I picked up my copy of the Narrow Gauge Gazette (Set/Oct/-2007) and (guess what), there was an article and drawings of the Lombard Tractor. The drawings were for the gas model, but now I had plans to follow. I did take a few measurements but eyeballed the rest. The frame is 3/32nd square tubing (soldered), 35’L x 5’ W. The runners, cab, wood box and front seat are stripwood. The cab is 9’ long, 7’ wide and 9’ high. The tracks are from a backhoe kit by Railway Express Miniatures. The water tank is made from a ½” I.D. brass tube, with one end closed to glue on the boiler front. To make the rivets on the tank, I first cut a piece of furnace metal tape that would wrap around the tank. I then rolled it on the back side with a pounce wheel. When you peel the backing tape off the tape and look at the front side you have raised dimples. Then I carefully wrapped it around thebrass tube. For glue I used Aleene’s tackey, Weldbond, Epoxy Speed set and Locktite Quick Gel. The cab is painted Polly S coach green, the tank and boiler are Polly S tarnished black. All the wood parts were stained with 1 or 2 coats of Floquil Paint Marker (rail tie brown and rust). The model was heavily dusted with Bragbon Weathering Powers (light rust, dark rust, soot and ashes). I also used Blacken-It and Gun Blue to darken the all the brass and the tracks. William Erwin
____________________ ANY TIME IS TRAIN TIME
Youve done a lovely job on everything... except the tracks. They're from a modern tracked vehicle, whereas back in those days caterpillar tracks were a lot different. I'd suggest finding a cat and arch and using the arch's tracks for your model, it would improve it greatly!