Freerails Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Freerails > Model Railroad Forums > Narrow Gauge > Beat the high cost of On30

Freerails IS ACCEPTING new Members ... To join Freerails ... See how to Register as a Member in the 'Joining Freerails' Forum

Beat the high cost of On30
 Moderated by: . Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2007 12:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
hminky
Registered
 

Joined: Wed Apr 5th, 2006
Location:  
Posts: 263
Status: 
Offline
I wanted to model the 1870's in On30. MMI is bringing out a 1870's 4-
4-0, but $400 dollars, HOLY MOLY!!!!!. The Bachmann Mogul looks silly
with a ballon stack when you see it in person, it is an 1880's state
of the art loco, not 1870's.

Going back to my original roots and my rubber gauging lifestyle, I
found the alternative, Sn3.5.




Sn3.5 allows realistic models to be built from HO mechanisms. You can
only build caricatures or industrial tramways in On30 using HO
mechanisms. Mantua Oldtime 1860's are a $7 dollar street value narrow
gauge box car. 3-1/2 foot gauge was the original common carrier narrow gauge
instituted in Norway and India in the 1860's.

Besides S scale is the one true scale, seriously, it is the best size
for layout building, bar none.

Fight the high price of narrow gauge and visit my Sn3.5 page at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/s_scale/

Thank you if you visit

Harold

Last edited on Tue Jun 5th, 2007 12:51 pm by hminky

Back To Top

 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2007 04:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
CopperValleySouthern
Registered


Joined: Sat Jan 28th, 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Posts: 249
Status: 
Offline
Well Harold,

It's fine with me as long as you post pics:thumb: Good luck:)

Chris



____________________
Chris
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Apr 22nd, 2011 10:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Tate
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
That's odd, when I went on the site, it said 404 NOT FOUND. HELP!

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 12:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Herb Kephart
Moderator


Joined: Thu Jul 19th, 2007
Location: Glen Mills, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 5981
Status: 
Offline
Harold changed his mind a number of times as to what scale/gage combination he wanted to work in, and about 6 months ago, quit posting and shut down his site.



Herb  :old dude:



____________________
Fix it again, Mr Gates--it still works!"
Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 01:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Tate
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Herb Kephart wrote: Harold changed his mind a number of times as to what scale/gage combination he wanted to work in, and about 6 months ago, quit posting and shut down his site.



Herb  :old dude:
Why'd he quite?

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 02:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
W C Greene
Moderator


Joined: Fri May 4th, 2007
Location: Royse City, Texas USA
Posts: 8253
Status: 
Offline
Tate-why did Harold quit? I really don't know. He had some neat ideas and concepts. When he did 55n3 (1:55 scale running on On30 gauge), he was very prolific but it appeared that he was the only one doing that scale/gauge in the US so without any support, he just quit, left the building. Maybe he is out there lurking, waiting...Harold, come back...

                    Woodie



____________________
It doesn't matter if you win or lose, its' how you rig the game.
Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 02:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Tate
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
W C Greene wrote: Tate-why did Harold quit? I really don't know. He had some neat ideas and concepts. When he did 55n3 (1:55 scale running on On30 gauge), he was very prolific but it appeared that he was the only one doing that scale/gauge in the US so without any support, he just quit, left the building. Maybe he is out there lurking, waiting...Harold, come back...

                    Woodie

Could you hint me in on some of these concepts?

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 01:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
W C Greene
Moderator


Joined: Fri May 4th, 2007
Location: Royse City, Texas USA
Posts: 8253
Status: 
Offline
Tate-I could tell you about my concepts, but I won't begin to tell about others' ideas. If you want to see any of my stuff, check out the Mogollon Railway thread here.

              Woodie



____________________
It doesn't matter if you win or lose, its' how you rig the game.
Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 03:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
mabloodhound
Registered


Joined: Mon Apr 5th, 2010
Location: South Shore, Halifax, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 319
Status: 
Offline
Tate Pumfrey wrote: W C Greene wrote: Tate-why did Harold quit? I really don't know. He had some neat ideas and concepts. When he did 55n3 (1:55 scale running on On30 gauge), he was very prolific but it appeared that he was the only one doing that scale/gauge in the US so without any support, he just quit, left the building. Maybe he is out there lurking, waiting...Harold, come back...

                    Woodie

Could you hint me in on some of these concepts?

Tate,   Harold got involved in the "virtual" rail stuff and ended up building his empire on the computer.   He has shut down his website but you never know when he might re-appear.   But I doubt that he will do any real modeling again.
I saved all of his On30 hints and tips as PDF's and I have these available if you send me your e-mail address off line.   I don't have the 55n3 stuff as this isn't my area of interest.



____________________
Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.” ~ Thos. Jefferson
“Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.” ~ me
Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 09:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Tate
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
mabloodhound wrote: Tate Pumfrey wrote: W C Greene wrote: Tate-why did Harold quit? I really don't know. He had some neat ideas and concepts. When he did 55n3 (1:55 scale running on On30 gauge), he was very prolific but it appeared that he was the only one doing that scale/gauge in the US so without any support, he just quit, left the building. Maybe he is out there lurking, waiting...Harold, come back...

                    Woodie

Could you hint me in on some of these concepts?

Tate,   Harold got involved in the "virtual" rail stuff and ended up building his empire on the computer.   He has shut down his website but you never know when he might re-appear.   But I doubt that he will do any real modeling again.
I saved all of his On30 hints and tips as PDF's and I have these available if you send me your e-mail address off line.   I don't have the 55n3 stuff as this isn't my area of interest.
What exactly is 55n3? I am not familiar with this, but I have heard it mentioned on this forum.

Back To Top


 Current time is 09:05 am
Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  

Freerails > Model Railroad Forums > Narrow Gauge > Beat the high cost of On30
Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems